Wednesday, November 24, 2010


Pretty fall tree

It's been almost 3 months now, and I feel like I have already seen so much but at the same time it has gone by really fast. I've been getting more involved with the residence hall government as the environmental co-representative. All of the halls compete for a big party at the end of the year by organizing events and campaigns. Last year, our hall lost by a tiny bit, so we're going to try really hard to win this year. We had environment trivia questions at our Halloween party and we're having a movie night next week with popcorn and soda. It's been fun getting involved in the residence association as well as the carbon control campaign. This year, all of the halls of residence in the University of Manchester have recycled about 10 tons of paper/cardboard since the start of the semester; triple what they did last year!

My classes are going well. It's nice not having so many midterms and homework to worry about, but at the same time, I kind of like having those things to keep me on track with work. I'm not excited about having exams when I get back after Christmas break. I really like how we get to take them before Christmas and can just relax during break at Michigan. But, I suppose this is part of the whole new education system and study abroad experience. We do get a whole month off for Christmas, which I'm not complaining about!University of Manchester

Today, I was walking down the street from north campus (a.k.a. engineering campus, so weird that it's the same at Michigan!) to get to the bus stop and I saw like 10 policemen with big black hats and yellow reflector jackets in the middle of Oxford road (the main road through Manchester Uni)! Following the policemen were a whole crowd of students marching as a protest against higher tuition fees and education cuts. They even had like policemen on horses at the back of the march! At first I was like wow, this is cool! Then, I realized that I would not be catching a bus any time soon as there were masses of people in the middle of Oxford road. So, I got to wait at the bus stop for about 45 min. along with a lot of other students trying to get home/get to class. In the BBC news it said, "In Manchester around 3,000 protesters gathered outside the town hall, disrupting city centre traffic." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11829102


Outside the Student Union on a normal weekday

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking about studying abroad in Manchester next year and I would love to talk to you more about it if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Send me an email: etericajane@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete